Monday, May 23, 2011

Deep in the Heart of Texas!

Woo-Hoo!

JAMES. GOT. A. JOB!


Phew! That was a close one. Talk about right down to the wire . . . Well, not really, considering we had nothing else riding on getting a job. 


James will start at BioWare in Austin, TX on June 6th. 


Now for the stressful part:
It's a contracted position. IE: No benefits, health insurance, or relocation help.
After everything fell through about 2 weeks ago, I threw the hat in and decided we were staying in Provo and made plans to go along this decision (Doctor appointments that had been put off, apartment contract extension, shopping, trips, etc.)
Therefore, the repercussions of this thinking has left us in some dire situations, some of which we won't find out for another couple of weeks.


Selling the apartment has been the heaviest thing weighing on my mind currently. Our contract expires the last day of August. We want to be in Texas June 1. That's $1875 worth of rent if we can't sell it. Plus the $2500 worth of Texas rent we'd be paying at the same time. That'a a nice $4375 . . . Yeah, no way we can afford this. If you know anyone getting married, please send them our way. I've posted the apartment about 4 times on Craigslist, 3 times on KSL, Facebook Marketplace and the Wilk info board. Believe me, I've covered many bases :) But if there's something I'm missing, LET ME KNOW!


Which brings us to point 2: Health insurance. Pretty much any way you look at it, I'm screwed. Luckily, James was able to get back onto his parents insurance for the next year! Which works out nicely because James never gets sick anyways, and in the past 4 years he's probably been to the doctor once, maybe twice. A year isn't that long, so this works great, and he turns 26 next May. Perfect.
I, unfortunately, will be 26 in December, so getting back on my parents insurance isn't very worthwhile. I have the option of going through COBRA to extend the current insurance I have now for 18months. The coverage I have "isn't offered" in Texas, so I have to be bumped down to a worse plan. That's $470/month + I pay 30% of everything. Thanks for nothing, jerks!
The problem also is insurance varies from state to state. So while I've had lots of great resources to pull from, it may not apply to Texas. Also, I can't get very accurate quotes or ideas of what I'm dealing with until I become a Texas resident. I'm ending my employment June 1st, meaning my benefits will cover me until the end of the month if anything dire happens. So I have one month in Texas to get all my duckies in a row.


Positives:

  • BYU vs Texas. September 10th in Austin, TX. 'Nuff said
  • Quitting My Job. Focusing on this makes all the anxieties seem so much brighter
  • Next chapter of our lives. After 7 years at this Popsicle stand, I can say, see ya! I don't even remember how to interact with non-members who aren't 20-something, attending a university and bright-eyed and nice. Not that people aren't nice outside of Provo, and not that everyone in Provo is nice.
  •  Starting a family!

No comments: