So on Valentine's Day, James & I had dinner with Nate Rees & Chelsea Osborn. At this dinner, Chelsea convinced us to go with them to see Twilight (it was at the dollar theater. It only cost $1.00 for both of us. So it was semi-worth it). A movie I almost swore to myself I'd never see, after watching the trailers that made me gag every time they aired. I decided it would be good to go because Nate & James also agreed to go and therefore, I could laugh with people at the movie.
I have had a very interesting turn of feelings with the Twilight series. I started reading them when the second book came out. I really, really liked the series. I could relate myself to the situations in the book. I thought it was a fun, easy read. Something to just enjoy. Then this whole mania began that I frankly feel has gotten out of hand. Team Edward? Team Jacob? Puh-lease. And then there was the whole predictability of the 4th book. You just knew everything would turn out peachy for everyone. You knew Bella would choose Edward. You knew that something would happen and Jacob wouldn't be hurt over Bella anymore. You knew no major character would die and that there would be no battle between the vampires or werewolves (apparently "shape shifters" as it has been brought to my attention).
Yes, I liked Twilight and own all the books. But it was when they made the movie that I really started to not like it. And after watching the movie, I figured out why I started disliking the books/movie/stigma around twilight so much (besides the fact that it was such a low-budget movie and the acting was non-existent).
The movie portrays Twilight in a way that I didn’t think of, nor do I want to be associated with. Emo kids? Goth music? No, that's not me, nor did I interpret that from the book. But if that's what Stephanie Meyer was trying to portray then I missed that when reading. But honestly . . . watching the movie and thinking that that's how Stephanie Meyers wanted it coming across, as Emo punks who look like they hate their lives? Yeah cause that's cool.
Anyway, so there's my rant. I feel like I had to justify myself because I finally figured out why I had become so turned off by Twilight :)
2 comments:
Amen.
you know, according to rumor, Bella (ella ella ay) listens to Linkin Park. In case you were wondering...yes...
I haven't read the books or seen the movie mostly because of all the drama around it. I got warped into Harry Potter before it raged out of control... and by then I was hooked. The movies really aren't so bad, either. But Twilight, the movie? Just looked ridiculous!
Post a Comment