James & I had the UVU Dance . . . festival . . . competition . . . thing on Friday & Saturday (February 20 & 21). It was a lot of fun. Good experience. Friday night was Pre-champ where I got to show off my new dress (pictures coming soon) and we debuted our cha-cha routine. I must say it is a little dis-heartening when you are lining up to go on the floor and you notice how everyone else in line is on team from BYU. "Oh hey, there's Kurt. . . He taught our 285 class . . . And look, there's the guy that won novice Latin at Dancesport. And that couple over there take lessons from Brent . . . " Yeah, things like that just make me shake my head, smile & think to myself, "What the heck am I doing here with these people?". Unfortunately, we didn't make it past the first round in Pre-champ. Our dancing was really shaky for some reason. But we did have one judge who liked us who called us back in every dance except Samba :) Yay!
Saturday was a little more eventful. We danced Gold American Mambo & Silver Latin Samba. The Mambo had only one other couple from UVU competing. And we won first place! It felt pretty cool. Then we danced the Samba against 7 or 8 other couples. And we won first place in that too! And the couples weren't all from BYU, there was at least one other BYU couple. Needless to say that really boosted my self esteem. I had a lot of fun with those dances.
Later that night, we danced Gold Latin Rumba. James & I have a hard time with Rumba, it's not our best dance. And the fact that I had to learn Gold Rumba on my own without any help practically, yeah, it was shaky. Needless to say we didn't make it past the first round. Again, the whole heat was basically UVU's Ballroom dance team.
But UVU was a good experience. We have another competition this Friday and Saturday at American Fork. I know a lot more people compete in these events, so we'll see how it goes. I'm really excited about Gold Paso. It's definitely my favorite dance.
Bye for now!
No comments:
Post a Comment