Monday, April 7, 2014

Ethan's Birth Story


Ethan’s birth story

On Thursday, February 13 I had my weekly check up with the OBGYN. I asked her to check my cervix to see if there was any progress. At the time I was 2cm dilated and 70% effaced. The OB was very surprised with just how much pressure there was from Ethan’s head pushing down. She said that things could start happening soon, or it could be another week.
Friday, February 14 was a lazy day for Jaina and me. I felt the occasional rumble now and then, but nothing worth getting excited about. That evening, about 7pm, regular contractions started happening. They weren't very painful, but they started coming every 5 minutes. I called Grandma and she started on her way. I called my OB and told her on the pain scale I was probably at a 7 (oh how wrong that was! In reality, it was probably a 4). About 8:30pm, James, Jaina and I went to the hospital. Grandma met us there to take Jaina back home.
Arriving at the hospital, I was checked again and still only 2cm. Unfortunately, all the contractions stopped and I realized that I wasn't in any pain and that I didn't really comprehend the pain scale. We got home about 11pm and went to bed.
At about 3am, I woke up with more contractions. They were more uncomfortable than before and I got up since it was easier standing up than lying in bed through a contraction. About 5am, the contractions were really painful and getting closer together. I asked James to call the OB, as I couldn't talk. The contractions were making me cry. I was getting scared. I had never really been “in labor” before since with Jaina, I just got my epidural when they first started.
We got in the car and got to the hospital about 6am. The crying was pretty much involuntary at this point, and I felt bad because it seemed to me the crying made the nurses more on edge. We had to go in through the emergency room entrance as the regular hospital doors weren't open that early. They got me a wheel chair and wheeled me to labor/delivery. I changed into the hospital gowns, they checked me and I had dilated to 5cm. The contractions were coming harder and faster so I asked for my epidural right away. They had me sign several forms (I couldn't tell you what they said as I was crying and trying to focus on breathing through contractions). At the same time, they were trying to hook me up to monitors and IVs. I’m not sure what James was doing, although when it came time to get my epidural, he was in front of me holding my hands.
When the anesthesiologist came in, they were having trouble finding Ethan’s heartbeat as it had gone very low. It was almost humorous because the anesthesiologist was telling me to move my body one way while the nurses were trying to get me to do something else so they could get Ethan’s heartbeat. All the time I’m crying and apologizing and people are telling me everything’s going to be ok. The epidural got in, they found Ethan’s heartbeat, and it had gotten stronger and I was able to finally relax. Oh sweet medicine. How I love you. By the time all was said and done, it was about 7:30am. They checked my cervix again and I had dilated to an 8! The nurses said to get some rest and they would be back later.
Surprisingly, I was able to get some rest. About 9am, my nurse came back to check on things. I wasn't feeling so great, so I asked to sit up because I was going to throw up. The nurse brought a bucket over, and I was able to relieve myself of last night’s dinner . . . So that’s why you shouldn't eat when you’re in labor, haha.
Soon after, my OB came in and checked me. She said we would have a baby by 10:30. She asked how long it took to push out Jaina. I said 15 minutes. My OB jokingly said that we were going to break that time.
10:15 came and it was time to push. James was helping as he would be needed to cut the cord. I started pushing and things were going really well. Then, my nurse started having me constantly push the whole time, and not take any breaks. I thought that was a little much to ask for, but just started pushing as hard as I could to get him out.
Ethan came out at 10:24am. I noticed though that James didn't cut the cord, as the OB was furiously doing it herself and handed him off quickly to the nurses. I didn't hear him cry. That was something I still remember vividly about Jaina’s birth. The cough, cry and then they put her on my chest. This didn't happen. I looked over to the cleanup station where they had two nurses working on Ethan. I still didn't hear anything coming from him. I started to cry and my OB said that Ethan was born with the cord double wrapped around his neck and that they had to attend to him right away, hence James didn't cut the cord. After what felt like forever, Ethan started crying and breathing on his own. The nurses had to help him breathe until that point. What a huge sigh of relief that little cry was for me! As the nurses were assessing him, one of the nurses asked the OB if she noticed his collar bone was broken. The OB said she hadn't checked, and the nurse confirmed that Ethan had broken his clavicle coming out. Poor little guy! Finally, they were able to give Ethan to me. My poor baby looked so battered. He had a large bruise on his head (from coming down so fast), bruises on his neck from the cord, and bruises from the broken clavicle. His eyes were blood shot as the blood vessels in his eyes popped as he squeezed out. Talk about a dramatic entrance! Ethan weighed in at 9 pounds, 1 ounce. Everyone was very impressed with my ability to get such a big baby out.
Ethan had very broad shoulders, and large hands. He was a big guy! Ethan had some blond hair (not nearly as much hair as Jaina had) and blue eyes. Of course I am hoping the eye and hair color stays!

Ethan was born with jaundice, just like Jaina. Which was difficult again to get rid of but we did it. He has been a fabulous baby thus far. Sleeps and eats really well. We are so glad to have him in our family!

No comments: