Oh the fallacy that is BYUSA and their "elections". If I had a dollar for every time a campaign has promised "No tuition increases!", "See the student ratings for professors!", "Free meals!", "More Parties!", "Better housing!", "Elephants you can ride to school on!" . . . I'd have my school debts paid off.
Really BYU? Really BYUSA? What did you do for me in my 4 years of being a student? (Besides throwing lame dance/preference parties for Freshman?) Any idea/change that has ever come to BYU to better it, has always been from the "bright ideas" submissions . . . which last time I checked, these submitters had nothing to do with BYUSA, or the president.
I love reading the Daily Universe's letters to the editor for how many people rip apart the elections. And really, they're all true. The number one thing: Why should I help pad your resume to be in a position where you do nothing for the greater good of this school and it's all a popularity contest?
I love how there always seems to be a "scandal" over these politics too. One year, a campaign went to Kinko's instead of Cougar Creations. So freaking what?! I have been to Cougar Creations and I HATE them with a passion (but that story is another blog worthy report). Let's just say Cougar Creations asks for no qualifications when hiring their employees (the fact that I had to tell the girl employee how to print my document . . . yeah, thanks :-\). But I've been to Kinkos (which will price match, but in the end, they were cheaper than CC) and I say BRAVO to the campaign that went somewhere ELSE, that may have been cheaper! I would love to have someone who actually does spend less! So they spent a little money elsewhere at a place that is better quality, more informed employees and overall a better experience . . . who cares?
Then they had the campaign that went over their spending, oh boo-hoo. Let's disqualify them as well so we can make sure the campaign we want wins. And the years now where the people rat the campaigns out to the Honor Code office for violations.
Really people? You're petty enough to report honor code violations? And why were you "staked out" watching over these campaign groups, huh? Really? I hope the campaign you signed up with to help sabotage the other campaigns are paying you well enough to do a stake out.
And then there's the mindless, annoying groups all over campus, hindering your walking paths or delaying you from making it to class or work because they way to tell you how AMAZING their party is. . . Frankly, I don't care what your campaign stands for or what you "promise" to do. In case you forgot, I've been to elementary, junior & high school with elections just like these. And it's all the same. The popular kid wins, and none of their promises are ever fulfilled. It's just the way it is. You have no "real" power. Hey flier people, didn't you notice that my direction veered off at a 90 degree angle when I saw you? So stop chasing after me. And didn't you notice all the people who refuse to make eye-contact with you? Stop chasing after them as well! Walking into the Wilk is like walking into a battle zone! There's so many colors & fliers & people & music . . . it is complete chaos! And this chaotic battle to make sure the innocent person walking by trying to get lunch/go to class gets YOUR flier, and no one else's, is so mind-numbingly annoying, you change your normal walking paths so you have encounter with this awful parade of "BYU Politics".
I may be a little harsh, but in my defense, I would love BYUSA at the end of each President's term to create a list of just exactly what that President has done. What policies did they change? What promises did they keep? Did they do anything beneficial besides stamp their name on a couple dances for freshman and married couples?
I am willing and open to change my mind about BYUSA, but the fact that obviously they've been made fun of since these "elections" started, and they've done nothing more than hold "Q&As sessions" once during the "election season", when 90% of campus have class, I feel like they have nothing to defend themselves because it's true: They really don't do anything.
So BYUSA, here's my challenge to you: Tell us what these presidents have done in the past. Do something to earn our respect. I would love to respect BYU Politics, but until you do something to earn that respect, I will keep criticizing, all the while voting so I keep my right to do so :)
1 comment:
I was driving ds 72 today and David wouldn't let me honk at the flier people...it made me sad.
Post a Comment